Porcelain Crowns and Bridges Treatment
At Milltown Dental we offer porcelain crowns and bridges as an excellent restorative treatment when the integrity of your tooth is jeopardized or in the case of missing teeth. Crowns offer a stable, natural-looking option that maintains your root for added stability while bridges offer a permanent option for missing teeth.
A crown, or “cap” is a covering that protects, covers, and strengthens your tooth. They provide a natural look while keeping your bite and teeth aligned. Crowns are used when a tooth is severely damaged, and are recommended if you have a root canal, a large filling or a broken tooth. Crowns can be made from different materials, including gold, porcelain, other metal alloys or a combination of both. We normally propose tooth-coloured crowns that can be matched to existing teeth for the most natural appearance. This is especially important for teeth that can be seen when you smile.
When would I need a crown?
During any dental treatment, the ultimate goal is to save your tooth. This is because the natural root of your tooth is stronger than any replacement or restorative treatment available. As well, when a tooth is lost and not replaced it leads to further issues including the shifting of your teeth which can affect your bite as well as the appearance of your smile. Rather than turning to extractions and implants, crowns offer an excellent option in many situations including:
- Larger fillings that have so severely broken down that a simple filling is not an option anymore
- Presence of new decay around big restorations
- A cracked tooth
- Very sensitive teeth, either from a lot of "wear", or from receded gums to seal and protect the teeth from hot and cold sensitivity
- A tooth that has been broken
- A tooth that has undergone Root Canal Therapy to properly seal and protect the tooth
- Misaligned teeth to make them look straighter and improve your occlusion (bite)
How is a crown inserted?
- An impression is made of your tooth in order to create a temporary crown to place over your tooth while you wait for your final crown to be made.
- Your tooth is prepped by filing it down to accommodate the final crown.
- An impression is taken of your filed tooth and is sent to the dental lab where the crown is crafted.
- When your crown is ready, we will remove the temporary crown and make sure your final crown is the right fit, shape, colour and bite before it is cemented into place.
Post and Core
A post and core allows us to rebuild a tooth offering strength and stability to crowns when there is a potential problem with the remaining tooth. The post and core support the crown when the tooth cannot. The natural tooth’s root is preserved as with a crown, but the post provides additional support when the tooth itself is not strong enough. The post is inserted into the remaining tooth providing a stable anchor that works in combination with your natural root and tooth.
A bridge is used when your natural tooth cannot be saved or is missing. It attaches restorative teeth to the natural teeth on either side of the gap. This bridge acts as your new teeth, closing the gap and restoring your smile. As mentioned, filling in gaps left by missing teeth is important to ensure proper mouth functions, as it can significantly reduce tooth shifting, over-erupting, and pain caused by an uncomfortable bite. A bridge is one of the few options you have when deciding on how to deal with a missing tooth or teeth. It is made of a durable, natural-looking material that is resistant to stains, chips, and decay. Because it is cemented to your teeth permanently, most patients find this an excellent option over removable dentures. This is also a far more affordable option than implants.
If you would like more information about crowns and bridges, feel free to speak to our team by calling (905) 878-8528 or contact us here.