At Milltown Dental, we can help you have whiter, brighter teeth that not only improve your smile but can help make you look years younger. If you feel your smile is in need of a makeover, one of the most affordable and effective options is a simple whitening treatment.
What causes yellowing?
Ageing, along with many lifestyle factors cause teeth to dull and yellow. These factors can include:
- Genetics: The natural colour of your teeth can vary from white and yellow hues to reddish browns or grays. The colour of your parents’ teeth will usually match the natural colour of your teeth.
- Dentin: The dentin below your enamel is yellow. If your enamel is thin, the yellow can become more obvious.
- Age: As you age your enamel wears away due to chewing and exposure to acids found in food and drink.
- Smoking: Nicotine stains teeth yellow or even brown.
- Food and Drink: Dark and bright coloured foods and drinks will stain teeth from red wine to tea and tomatoes to curry.
- Antibiotics: Tetracycline causes gray staining as opposed to yellow staining. It also affects developing teeth, so if you took this antibiotic before 8 years of age or if your mother took them in the second half of her pregnancy you could have staining as a result.
- Fluorosis: Overexposure to fluoride can stain teeth.
- Damage: Whether it is an accident, wear and tear or teeth grinding, damage to your enamel can expose the yellow of your dentin.
Can I avoid discoloration?
Good oral hygiene habits including brushing, flossing, and regular professional cleanings are the first step to avoid discoloration. You can choose whitening toothpaste, but it is best to speak to our team first as these toothpaste can increase sensitivity. You can prevent staining by avoiding smoking, and limiting food and drinks such as red wine, coffee, tea, blueberries and anything with artificial colours to name a few. If you do indulge in stain-causing food and drink, give your mouth a quick rinse with water afterward. If you are worried about fluorosis, speak to Dr. Julie to make sure you are not overusing fluoride products.
How can I whiten my smile?
In office laser whitening and take home whitening
- Day White
- Night White
- Rizet White
Whitening is a procedure that restores stained or discoloured teeth to a healthy, natural colour, and is very safe under the supervision of a dental professional. We provide take-home whitening kits that contain a bleaching gel with a customized tray designed to fit your teeth. You will apply the bleaching gel to the tray and wear it for approximately one to two hours daily until your teeth have reached the desired shade.
Why not just use over the counter whiteners?
You definitely can use over the counter whiteners. There are many products that can assist in the whitening process. However, there are some downsides to these products including:
- They can increase tooth sensitivity
- They can be applied incorrectly causing uneven whitening
- They are expensive and might not get the results you want as they contain less active ingredients such as hydrogen peroxide then kits provided by our office
Is it hard to use a professional home whitening kit?
Professional at-home teeth whitening kits are designed to make the whitening process easier and more effective. They contain higher amounts of hydrogen peroxide to get the best possible results. We provide custom-fitted dental trays to apply the whitening solution to ensure even application you cannot obtain with over the counter kits. The trays also help to keep the solution on your teeth and away from the gum line to reduce the chance of increased tooth sensitivity. You will see your desired results in as little as one to two weeks.
How do I get my in-home teeth whitening kit?
If you are interested in whitening your teeth you can call our office or mention it at your next appointment. We will assess your discolouration and history, to determine if you are a good candidate for a whitening treatment. Once you decide you want to proceed, the following steps are required:
- We will set up an appointment to take impressions of your teeth using a dental putty.
- We will also take images of your teeth to record their current colour.
- Your impressions are sent to a lab where the trays will be made.
- In about two weeks your trays will be delivered to our office.
- We will set up an appointment, so we can show you how to use the solution and apply it to your teeth. We will also check the fit of your trays to make sure they are comfortable.
- The whitening is applied typically an hour per day for two weeks.
- We will set up a follow-up appointment to track your progress and see if you are achieving the desired shade.
Who should not use teeth whitening products?
We will not recommend teeth whitening for patients with:
- Sensitive teeth and gums or exposed roots
- An allergy to the ingredients or materials used in the kit
- Receding gums
- Defective restorations
- Gum disease
- Fillings, crowns and other restorations
However, we will discuss options that are better suited to your needs to help improve your smile and address staining and discolouration issues.
If you are interested in getting a tooth whitening kit, give us a call today at (905) 878-8528 or contact us here