Posted by Milltown Dental On 10-01-2019
Under Armour Performance Mouthwear™ provides a safe custom-built oral appliance designed for athletes. It provides much-needed protection for your teeth as well as your jaw, allowing you to improve your performance while reducing the risk of injury. Mouthguards have been used as protection for athletes for decades. However, there are many benefits to wearing mouthguards beyond just protection. Under Armour Performance Mouthwear™ is designed to offer additional benefits, making them the best choice for athletes.
It might be a surprise to learn that your jaw can provide added strength to your performance. This goes back to ancient times when Greek athletes bit down on leather straps during competitions. This was shown to provide an edge over the competition. As well, Viking and Roman warriors used the same strategy to remain focused during battles. The effectiveness of the leather straps has been tied to our natural instinct to clench our teeth. The act of clenching is a natural reaction in our “fight or flight” instincts. When clenching, the compression of your temporomandibular joint (TMJ) triggers hormones that cause stress, fatigue, and even distraction. When using the patented ArmourBite™ technology, you are unable to clench which, in turn, stops the production of these negative hormones. This allows you to gain strength and improve focus and endurance.
The Under Armour Performance Advantage
Some of the top Universities and Research Centers in the United States have found several advantages of Under Armour (UA) Performance Mouthwear™, including:
- Increased Strength: Strength was increased by an average of 17% with the UA Performance Mouthpiece and 12% with the UA Performance Mouthguard due to improved airflow and reduced stress from clenching.
- Increased Endurance: There is 25% less lactic acid build-up after 30 minutes of intense exercises due to enlarged airway openings when wearing the mouthguard.
- Faster Reaction time: Athletes might respond faster to auditory cues and visual cues, increasing their reaction time while playing.
- Reduced Stress: A reduction in the production of excess cortisol decreases stress for better performance.
- Reduced Risk of Concussion: Impact to the jaw can increase the risk of concussion. UA Performance Mouthguards™ reduce G-Force impact to the jaw by up to 20%.
Who Should use UA Performance Mouthwear™?
This has become the preferred mouthwear for hundreds of professional athletes. It can be used for anyone participating in sports and activities as well as athletes of all levels as it will assist them:
- Excel in their performance
- Improve strength and endurance
- Improve overall performance
- Reduce the risk of TMJ problems, teeth micro-fractures, reduced oxygenation during sports due to clenching
- Protect their teeth from damage
- Protect from concussions
What Sports & Activities Require a Mouthguard?
We advise all active patients to use a mouthguard to protect them from injury. You can use a mouthguard for the following sports:
- Ice Hockey
- Martial Arts
- Field Hockey
- Inline Skating
- Weight Lifting
Why Choose Under Armour Performance Mouthwear™?
Standard mouthguards are designed to provide protection. Under Armour Performance Mouthwear™, on the other hand, is designed to provide protection while enhancing performance. It is the number one mouthwear recommended by dentists, pro trainers, strength coaches and wellness experts as it combines the benefits of protection with increased performance enhancement.
How do I Choose the Right Product?
There are two options for UA Performance Mouthwear™:
- UA Performance Mouthguard™: A mouthguard provides superior protection and is advised for use in contact sports such as football, hockey, and lacrosse.
- UA Performance Mouthpiece™: A mouthpiece is designed for non-contact and limited-contact sports such as running, soccer, baseball, golf, tennis, and weight training.
What is the Process for Getting UA Performance Mouthwear?
You can set up an appointment with Dr. Julie to discuss your needs. She will advise which model is best suited to your personal needs. You can then begin the simple process of being fitted for your customized mouthguard. These three simple steps include:
- At your first appointment, we will take impressions of your bite. This step provides us with an exact mould of your teeth to ensure your mouthguard fits firmly and comfortably. UA Performance Mouthwear™ is available in yellow bite plates and decals, but you can also choose pink if you prefer.
- The impressions are shipped to the Under Armour lab where they custom craft your personalized mouthwear. It usually takes about ten days for the custom piece to be crafted and delivered to our office.
- The completed mouthwear is shipped back to Milltown Dental for a final fitting. We will have you try on your mouthwear to ensure it is comfortable and fits snugly for proper protection. You can then take your mouthwear home in the protective case provided by UA. Your UA performance Mouthwear™ should last at least one season. However, timing can vary.
What is a Boil and Bite Mouthguard?
Boil and bite mouthguards can be purchased at your local drug store. They provide an over the counter mouthguard that can be customized at home. The guard is boiled in water for a few minutes to soften the material and then you bite into it to create a self-made customized mouthguard. However, these can be risky as the bite might not be made perfectly straight which can cause issues when wearing it. As well, these over the counter mouthguards do not provide all the benefits of UA. We can provide ArmourBite™ Boil-N-Bite Under Armour Performance mouthwear. We usually recommend these for children as they are less expensive than the performance appliances while still providing the same protection. They are also more flexible, making them ideal to accommodate the changing bite of a growing child. Children ages eight and older are candidates for UA appliances.
Benefits of Ordering from a Dentist
We are trained to fit your mouthwear properly. We will evaluate your mouth to make sure you do not have any oral health issues that would make wearing the guard difficult. We will also provide clear instructions to ensure you are wearing your mouthwear correctly for optimum performance. We also do not add a third-party markup, thus keeping your UA mouthwear more affordable.
If you would like to schedule an appointment for your customized Armour Performance Mouthwear™, please call the Milltown Dental team at (905) 878-8528.