Posted by Dr. Julie Boudreault On 21-09-2020
When you open your mouth and share your smile with the world, it can say a lot about you as a person. Unfortunately, many people are not as willing to share their smile as others if they have some problems or concerns with the alignment of their teeth.
Luckily, orthodontists can provide dental assistance to correct any problems with your bite, alignment, and overall smile. There are several excellent options available for those who wish to start the journey toward a straighter smile.
Straightening your teeth is a relatively straight forward process that requires some patience and commitment. As you wade through the teeth straightening options, you may become overwhelmed. At Milltown Dental, we’re here to make it simple for you.
Your teeth straightening options can be categorized into two types: Conventional braces or removable Invisalign aligners. If you’re thinking about straightening your teeth, we’re here to provide you with all the options available to you to get the job done quickly and effectively.
Invisalign braces are an excellent alternative to conventional metal braces, and they are appealing for many adults who don’t want to have a mouth full of metal. Unfortunately, removable braces are not intended for everyone, so it’s important to determine whether you are a candidate for these types of braces.
Generally, Invisalign braces can be used for many orthodontic problems. Invisalign is a series of clear aligner trays, custom made for each patient’s teeth.
On your first visit to the dentist, a mould is made of your teeth or a 3D model using a scanner. This model is used to create your own unique set of aligners. These aligners apply pressure to your teeth, slowly shifting them into their correct positions.
The clear aligner trays must be worn for most of the day to be effective; however, they are relatively more convenient than the traditional metal braces because they can be removed during eating, drinking, or brushing the teeth.
The total treatment time associated with clear Invisalign aligners can vary from one patient to another and ranges from 10 weeks to 2 years. Invisalign braces range in cost anywhere from $1,900 to $8,500, depending on the brand. As with any orthodontic treatment, there are pros and cons to Invisalign braces, including:
Pros of Invisalign Braces
- They cost much less than braces for treatment of mild to moderate misalignment
- They can be removed, making it easier to enjoy foods, and maintain your oral hygiene
- They are less noticeable than traditional braces
- They require fewer visits to the orthodontist compared to traditional braces
- There is a decreased risk of root resorption
- They are effective at correcting slight and severe overbites, overcrowding of the teeth and spacing issues, with good results
- Unlike traditional braces, clear aligners allow you to remove the trays during eating or drinking, which allows you to enjoy all types of hard and chewy foods, as long as you continue to maintain good oral hygiene practises and clean your aligners as well
- You can avoid damaging the insides of your cheeks and avoid laceration usually caused by traditional metal braces
- You can avoid the greater risk of tooth decay and staining caused by traditional braces
Cons of Invisalign Braces
- Certain brands of clear aligners can cost significantly more than traditional braces
- Clear aligners must be worn responsibly and as much of the day as possible for them to be effective, requiring motivation and commitment on the patient’s end
- Because clear aligners can be removed there is a greater risk of losing them
- The effectiveness of clear aligners for specific orthodontic cases is not known, as no large-scale clinical trials have been conducted
- The aligners are not as effective when teeth are rotated inwards or outwards
All teeth straightening options use pressure to help shift teeth into their proper positions. Conventional metal braces are a tried and tested method of straightening your smile and remain in use today because of their range of capabilities.
Traditional metal braces fix a whole host of problems including crooked teeth, overcrowding or spacing problems, overbite, and underbite problems. As traditional braces cannot be removed during eating, drinking, and brushing, it’s important to take extra time and carefully clean your teeth every day.
Maintaining good oral hygiene is essential to ensure your teeth remain healthy while your alignment is being corrected. Although metal braces are still widely used, technology has evolved; a mouth full of metal combined with elastics is no longer the only option to straighten teeth, with the increased popularity of clear aligners, like Invisalign, that give you more flexibility in your journey to straighter teeth.
The total treatment time associated with traditional braces can vary from 6 months to 2 years. Traditional braces are costly and range in cost from $4,000. As with any orthodontic treatment, there are benefits and drawbacks to traditional braces.
Pros of Traditional Braces
- Traditional braces can correct all types of dental issues, from mild to severe
- Although costly, they are usually covered under most types of dental insurance plans
Cons of Traditional Braces
- Traditional braces tend to be more uncomfortable compared to removable braces
- They cannot be removed during eating, drinking, or cleaning of the teeth
- Most traditional braces are visibly noticeable
What is the best option for me?
Each type of treatment option is unique and straightening your teeth or correcting any other dental issues is a process that can take time and commitment. Each patient and their dental situation is unique and while certain cases can be best treated with traditional braces, other cases may be better handled with Invisalign aligner treatments.
It’s important to consult your dentist or orthodontist to assess your situation and devise a treatment plan that is best suited to correct your unique dental concerns. Rather than self-diagnosing and using online tools to start your teeth straightening journey, consult a professional who understands teeth and has the expertise to offer you the best suggestion.
Achieving that perfectly aligned, straight smile is certainly something worth the time and effort, and there are plenty of successful methods to do this, which have passed the test of time. Traditional fixed braces or those which can be removed are the two main types of teeth straightening options that exist. Within each category, customized options can be fitted to help treat your unique dental issues.