Posted by Dr. Julie Boudreault On 7-05-2019
Most people know that if they are embarrassed by yellowing teeth, they have an easy option available using teeth whitening. However, if you are living with dental imperfections, such as gaps, overlaps, deep staining, or crooked teeth, you might not be aware there are many cosmetic dentistry treatments available to handle a myriad of issues. We can provide a complete smile makeover with affordable solutions that will give you the smile you have always wanted. A brand new smile will increase your confidence, make you feel more comfortable in social situations, and even help with your career.
Here are some of the cosmetic dentistry options available:
This orthodontic treatment offers a discreet alternative to traditional braces. The clear aligners ease your teeth into the ideal position for a perfect smile.
Invisalign braces can treat a number of dental issues including:
- Gapped teeth
- Mild bite problems such as overbite, underbite, crossbite, or open bite
- Crowded teeth
Custom-made clear plastic orthodontic aligners correct issues that may be affecting your smile or bite. The aligners are taken home and you change them every two weeks. Each new aligner gently coaxes your teeth into the desired position. The straightening process usually takes less than a year.
Your Invisalign aligners are created using computer-generated images of your teeth. Custom designed aligners fit your teeth comfortably and slight changes in the configuration of each aligner will place gentle pressure on your teeth to ease them into place.
There are many benefits to using Invisalign braces including:
- The clear plastic makes them barely visible.
- They provide the same results as traditional braces, often in less time.
- The aligners can be removed while eating, as well as for brushing and flossing.
- The aligners help you avoid damage caused to your inner cheeks, such as lacerations that can occur when wearing metal braces.
- Adjustments are made when you change your aligners at home so you miss less work for dental appointments.
- They reduce the risk for decay and staining that can occur with traditional braces.
A crown or “cap” is a restorative treatment used when your tooth is too damaged for a filling. However, they can also be used as a cosmetic treatment to resolve a number of issues including:
- A cracked or chipped tooth
- A tooth that has been broken
- Misaligned teeth
- Off-coloured restorations
- Misshapen teeth
- Missing teeth
Crowns can be made from different materials, including gold, porcelain, or other metal alloys. In the case of cosmetic treatments, tooth-coloured crowns are matched to your existing teeth for a beautiful, natural appearance.
Crowns are created by first taking an impression of your tooth, which is sent to a dental lab where your new tooth will be crafted. To install the tooth, we file down your existing tooth to make room for the crown. When your crown is delivered, we check it for fit as well as shape and colour before cementing it into place.
The benefits of crowns include:
- They offer a very natural look.
- They can be tinted to match your existing teeth.
- They offer a more permanent cosmetic option.
A bridge allows you to replace missing teeth by attaching a crown or string of crowns to the natural teeth on either side of the gap. Fixed bridges are made of a durable material that is resistant to stains, chips, and decay. It is permanently cemented to your teeth, making it a better option than removable dentures.
The benefits of fixed bridges include:
- They are more affordable than implants.
- They are a more permanent option than dentures.
- They look and feel like natural teeth.
VeneersVeneers are permanently bonded onto the front surface of your teeth to help cover a wide variety of smile challenges. They are made of thin porcelain that is extremely natural looking for a truly remarkable smile.
Veneers can be used to hide many imperfections including:
- Straighten crooked teeth.
- Close gaps in teeth.
- Whiten dark, yellow, permanently stained, or discoloured teeth.
- Repair broken or chipped teeth.
In order to apply porcelain veneers, we have to remove a thin layer of your enamel to accommodate your veneers. We then take impressions of your teeth, which are sent to the dental lab where your veneers are crafted. Temporary veneers will be inserted to protect your teeth. They are quite fragile, so special care must be taken when biting and chewing. When your veneers are ready, we will remove your temporary veneers and apply a mild chemical to your teeth to create a rough surface that will allow your veneers to be cemented to your tooth’s surface securely. Once we are satisfied the veneers are the right colour, we will cement the veneers to your teeth.
There are many benefits to veneers including:
- They offer an affordable option when you require more detailed changes to your smile.
- They can be matched to your existing teeth for a more natural look.
- You can have a brand new smile within two weeks.
There are some situations in which veneers are not suitable, including if you tend to grind your teeth, clench them, or even if you bite your nails or chew on ice. This can damage your veneers, leaving them chipped and cracked.
Cosmetic Dentistry Considerations
There are many cosmetic dental treatments available and we will provide a consultation to decide which options will work best for you. Some considerations prior to cosmetic treatments include:
- Your smile goals.
- Your current dental and gum health.
- Your budget.
- The effect treatment will have on your current teeth.
We will also consider issues such as grinding and clenching that can damage your cosmetic work. Cosmetic dentistry can make a startling difference to your smile, but can also improve your overall dental health. For example, by replacing missing teeth you improve your bite and avoid serious dental issues such as shifting and bite challenges.
In the case where you have current dental issues such as gum diseases or the need for restorative work, we will address these issues before we begin your cosmetic work. In some cases, the cosmetic work will be done at the same time such as tooth replacement or restorative work for broken or chipped teeth.Call Milltown Dental at (905) 878-8528 to book your cosmetic dentistry consultation today.